A glimpse of the past, a view of the future
The city of Weiz has a long-standing history with the first settlers arriving in Roman times. Weiz was first documented in 1188 and went on to become a district capital in 1850 and achieved city status in 1932. The founding of ELIN here in the 20th century led to Weiz becoming a centre of the electronics industry with products being supplied from here across the world. The friendly town with 9,300 inhabitants is now a strong economic centre undergoing innovative and dynamic development.
Weiz is a city of energy in many respects. A quick look around the city reveals a range of testaments to this living energy, both visible and perceptible. This observation may turn into a retrospective glance at history, taking you past the attractive buildings of the old town centred around the Tabor Church as well as the Baroque pilgrimage church on the Weizberg which can be reached via a Spiritual Trail passing through 7 energy-charged ‘sources of power’. The art house offers more contemporary insight and, based at the heart of the old town, represents a successful architectural bridge to modernity.